A classic tandoori chicken starter recipe! This tandoori Chicken recipe is first marinated in freshly made tandoori masala and other spicy masalas along with oil and curd and then char-grilled to perfection. Served with onion rings and a green chutney. The key to the tandoori chicken recipe is to use bone-in thighs and legs (yay! our favorite cuts) because they have enough fat to stay moist under the heat of the grill. The chicken gets its characteristic red hue from either lots of fiery chile or the addition of red food dye.
- 8 Large Chicken pieces with skin (2 pieces breast, 2 pieces of thighs, a couple of wings)
- To taste Oil
- 4 tsp Red chili paste
- 3 Tbsp Ginger and garlic paste
- 2 tsp Chaat masala
- 1 1/2 tsp Tandoori Masala
- 1 Tbsp Oil
- 3 Tbsp Curd
- To taste Salt
- 1/2 Lemon (juiced)
For Tandoori Masala:
- 2 Sticks Cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp Black peppercorns
- 5 Green cardamom
- 3 Brown cardamom
- 2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds
- 3 Cloves
- 1 Bay leaf
- 3/4 tsp Turmeric
Preparation of Tandoori Chicken Recipe:
- In a bowl add ginger and garlic paste, red chili paste, chaat masala, tandoori masala, oil, curd, salt and lemon juice. Mix it well.
- Rub the marinade on the chicken pieces, over the skin and underneath it. Make small gashes in the chicken pieces for the marinade to coat it nicely.
- Marinate the chicken pieces for 30 minutes.
- Chargrill the chicken pieces on a griller or tandoor. Baste with oil at regular intervals.
- Serve with lemon wedges and onion rings.
Prepare Tandoori Masala:
- In a pan dry roast cinnamon, peppercorns, green cardamom, brown cardamom, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, cloves, bay leaf and turmeric powder.
- In a mortar and pestle grind the dry roasted spices into a fine powder. Masala is ready.
- If you are making it in an oven, the temperature needs to be around 250-300 degrees C.
- serve hot tandoori chicken in a plate with mint chutney and lime.