Goan Fish curry – Two blissful days spent at the Goa ( Calangute beach ) eating, barbecuing, sunning and chilling with friends. But I couldn’t wait because this king fish curry with coconut and tamarind is a recipe everyone should have – the whole world so that they can experience what we do every day. I rarely make fish curry at home in India, but we do like the taste of the variety we get here. In India, There are many expert people, chefs etc. to make fish fry or a roast but don’t yield a good gravy. I can’t believe I don’t have a fish curry recipe on the blog yet. It’s just wrong of me. So dear Friend lets have a look and prepare my favorite dish “Fish curry”.
About Kerala fish curry- There is a list of freshwater fish found in Indian rivers, few most popular names of freshwater fishes of India are Rohu, Katla, Mahseer, Magur, and Vaam. Kerala is very famous in fish curry with special additions of tamarind extract and curry leaves. The large silver colored Rohu fish is an important aquacultured freshwater species and very commonly eaten in India and also considered a specialty in Bhojpur.
You may also like-
How to make fish curry?
Prep:- more than 40 minutes serve- 3 -4 cooking time- 1 hour
Ingredients for Fish curry recipe
- 1 sprig curry leaves or small bay leaf
- ½ tsp cumin (or jeera)
- 1 green chili (chopped or slit)
- 1 small onion chopped finely (optional)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 to 1 ½ tsp garam masala (refer notes)
- 1 ¼ cup water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 medium tomatoes ripe
- 2 medium onions sliced
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds.
- 2 tbsp coconut grated
- 1 tbsp red chili.
Marination for fish curry
- 500 grams Fish (half kg)
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste.
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ¼ to ½ tsp red chili powder
- Salt as needed.
Preparation of Fish curry recipe in easy steps-
- Clean and wash the fish slices and rub turmeric all over them. set aside till we need.
- Fry onions in 1 tbsp oil in a pan until onions shows golden color and saute tomatoes also in a pan until they become soft and mushy.
- Fry red chili powder, turmeric, coconut, saunf, with the tomatoes and onions until the mixture turns fragrant.
- Cool this mixture and blend it , add 2 tbsp water to blend well.
- Fry Fish in 2 tbsp oil in a pan so that raw smell goes out, fry for just 2 to 3 minutes only.
For Gravy of fish curry-
- Now add 1 spoon oil in another pan or Kadai. Fry onions, curry leaves, green chili, add some cumin powder and wait until it comes golden.
- Add ginger garlic paste in kadai or pan and mix well
- Add ground paste, red chilli powder, garam masala 1tbsp.
- Pour 2 cups of water and boil it and then cook until the oil begins to separate and just wait for a thick gravy.
- Place the fish and heat at medium temperature.
- Then flip then 4 to 5 times so that the fish can become thick and soft.
- cook on both sides until cooked
- Garnish the fish curry with some coriander leaves.
If you are a fish curry lover, follow me on facebook and find new inspiration for weeknight dinners every day! I’d also love to hang out with you on facebook so look me up there.